Want to burn stubborn fat from problem areas or tone and sculpt your body? Then you need to make sure that you are doing the most effective moves during cardio and strength training. We have rounded up the best fat-burning gym exercises so that you can be an efficient machine in the gym.
7 Best Fat-Burning Gym Exercises
Add these seven moves to your gym routine to boost fat loss. Since having good form is critical to seeing the results you crave, we recommend checking in with a fitness trainer if you aren’t sure how to do any of these training moves.
- HIIT: HIIT, which stands for high-intensity interval training, is the perfect cardio workout for gym goers who want to shed weight fast. HIIT combines short bursts of super intense activity to boost your metabolism, fuel muscle growth, and burn through fat. Try a HIIT class or put yourself through your own HIIT routine in a spare room. By swapping out 1-2 treadmill workouts with HIIT training, you can vary your cardio routine, build muscle to increase calorie burn, and tone your body.
- Reverse Lunge: For a low impact fat burning move, try the reverse lunge and incorporate a rear leg raise. This is a great beginner move for individuals who are overweight or obese and cannot perform high-intensity workouts. You’ll tighten and tone thighs, hips, and glutes while building the strength to do impact moves.
- Mountain climbers: Hit the mat for this grueling do-anywhere exercise, which blasts your abs, glutes, and legs. If you carry excess weight in your booty, thighs, or belly, mountain climbers will help you target your problem areas while toning your entire body. This exercise can be modified for beginners.
- Squat press: Squats are a great way to tone the hamstrings and glutes. Add in a shoulder press to engage your core and shoulders and you’ve got a grueling, fat-burning move.
- Medicine ball Russian twist: If you’ve got a pooch, try this total ab-toning move to target belly fat. Start with a small (or no) medicine ball, then add weight to keep challenging your core.
- Kettlebell workout: Get the fat burning benefits of a hardcore workout while incorporating strength training when you do a kettlebell workout. From basic kettlebell swings to loaded carry workouts, kettlebells can help you work weak muscle groups, tone your core, and effect some amazing body composition changes. If you are new to using a kettlebell, definitely check in with a trainer. You can seriously injure yourself by using a kettlebell improperly.
- Jump rope: Next time all the machines are full, steal a move from boxers and warm up with a jump rope. Jumping rope is an efficient way to get your heart pumping, warm up, and slash calories. A 200-lb. person can burn 1,000 calories an hour by jumping rope.
When you make the best fat-burning exercises a part of every workout, you will see results. Track your starting weight and inches, then weigh and measure yourself once a week to demonstrate to yourself that your hard work is paying off, build confidence, and fuel your success.