Want to speed up your metabolism? Try out these quick tips throughout the week to get you closer toward your fitness goals!
- Get up! Stop sitting all day and move to get your metabolism going. Find ways to get more physical activity, even if it’s simply walking or doing more chores around the house. Take your shoes with you to work and walk on your lunch break, park farther away when you do errands, and take the stairs instead of using elevators!
- Eat! Don’t skip meals or cut calories to the point that your body stops burning calories throughout the day. Fuel it so you can keep your metabolism fired up all day. Know your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE and watch how many calories you’re taking in to ensure that you aren’t dipping too low.
- Get protein! Your metabolism will improve if you keep a steady amount of protein in your diet. Your body has to burn more calories simply to digest protein; protein also keeps you fuller and helps to build muscle (metabolism’s friend).
- Lift weights! If you want a faster metabolism, make sure you’re lifting weights and getting stronger. Cardio is an important aspect of your fitness routine but won’t have the same effect on metabolism that lifting weights will. Save the sweat sessions on the elliptical and Stair master for after your lifting session.
- Sleep! Are you sleeping enough? It’s crucial to take care of yourself if you want to boost your metabolism. When you’re getting inconsistent sleep, studies show that your metabolism takes a beating as a result. Try getting a minimum of seven to eight hours a night.