After having a baby, you want to put those oversized maternity clothes back in the closet and start wearing your regular clothes again! Yet to get back into those skinny jeans, you’ll first need to take off the pregnancy weight. Our 5 weight loss after pregnancy tips will get you started on successful weight loss after having a baby.
5 Weight Loss After Pregnancy Tips
- Keep making healthy eating choices – After having a baby, it’s important to make healthy eating choices, especially if you are breastfeeding your baby. This means eating lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins. In addition to eating mindfully, make sure that you are only eating when you’re hungry and not snacking out of boredom.
- Get your doctor’s OK to resume working out - Having a baby puts your body through a lot, and one of the worst things you can do at this time is get back to working out before your body is really ready – especially if you had a C-section. When you feel ready to get back to the gym, schedule a doctor’s appointment and get your doctor’s okay as to what activities it is safe to resume. Gradually introduce these approved activities, adding in any more strenuous activities (like strength training) once your doc agrees you are ready for them.
- Take plenty of walks - Not only is walking a great way to get in shape, it can be a fun way to spend time with your new baby. Put the baby in the stroller and go for 10 minute walks around the neighborhood, gradually increasing the time to 20-30 minutes. Your baby will enjoy the fresh air, and you will feel good getting your heart rate up, using your muscles to push the weight of the carriage, and recommitting to your fitness.
- Do core exercises to work your abs - While you won’t get a 6-pack until you shed the layer of fat on your core, you’ll still want to get your abs back in shape through core work. Think crunches, planks, and back exercises to tighten and tone the tummy muscles. You’ll also get a boost here from carrying baby around all day.
- Be realistic about weight loss goals – It’s pretty normal to lose weight during the delivery and recovery period. You will also lose weight in the first week as your body releases stored fluids. After that, however, you can expect weight loss to be slower. Experts suggest that you will lose an average of one pound per week. This means that it can take 6-9 months to lose all the weight gained in pregnancy. Be patient with yourself and embrace change as it comes to continue losing pregnancy weight after a baby.
If you have any questions about getting back to the gym after pregnancy, consider making a personal trainer appointment. Our gym trainers have experience helping women return to working out after having a baby, and can get you started on a workout routine that increases your strength and calories burned without overtaxing you.