Those endorphins that kick in after a gym workout can boost your mood for the rest of the day. We say, why not double those benefits with mood-lifting health smoothies that enhance your mental and physical well-being? We’ve rounded up 7 tasty smoothies that will perk your brain and lift your mood, while refueling your body before or after a workout.
7 Mood-Lifting Health Smoothies
- Blueberry Yogurt Blues Buster – Loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, blueberries boost both heart health and brain function. Add in protein-rich probiotic dairy and you’ll activate those good gut flora. Combine one cup of blueberries, 5 ounces of yogurt, and your preferred type of milk to make this mood-lifting smoothie.
- Banana-Almond Anxiety Buster – Nuts and flaxseed not only deliver protein and fiber, they can alleviate anxiety and depression. Add in a potassium-rich banana and almond milk and you’ve got a healthy, happy smoothie.
- Oat-Berry Brain Booster - Both oats and yogurt are naturally rich in selenium, a mineral that plays an important role in brain health. Low levels of selenium are associated with poor moods. Combine one cup of raspberries with 5 ounces of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of oats. Add your preferred milk and blend for a healthy brain boost.
- Serotonin-Enhancing Green Smoothie - To lift your mood by increasing serotonin levels, turn to smoothie staples orange juice and spinach. Rich in folic acid, these will increase your serotonin. Combine a handful of spinach leaves with 1/2 a banana and one cup of orange juice.
- Avocado Grape Mood Lifter - Red grapes offer vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants including chromium, a mineral that helps to regulate emotions. Avocado is rich in folate, which can lift your mood naturally. Combine 1/2 an avocado and 5 ounces of yogurt with one cup of grape juice for a robust mood lifting smoothie.
- Green Superfood Smoothie – Combine three healthy superfoods — almonds, avocado, and spinach — into one smoothie to elevate your mood and nourish your body. Rich in folate and good fat, avocados boost your mood. Spinach contributes iron and magnesium, a known mood regulator. Almonds are a healthy fat and natural protein source to help your muscles recover. Combine 1/2 an avocado and a handful of spinach with almond milk for a superfood-packed mood lifter.
- Mixed Berry Nut Elevator Smoothie - Cashews and pumpkin seeds are loaded with zinc, which naturally decreases symptoms of depression. Zinc also makes antidepressants work better, while mitigating their side effects. Add in raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries, which are rich in antioxidants, to create a healthy mood-elevating snack. Combine 1 cup of mixed berries with 1 tablespoon each of cashews and pumpkin seeds. Blend with your favorite juice or milk.
These smoothies are customizable to your taste, so swap in your favorite juice, add in your go-to protein powder, or get inspired by our blends to create your own mood-lifting healthy snacks. We love these mood-lifting health smoothies, but want to know what other healthy snacks you reach for before or after a workout. Let us know in the comments!