If crunches are the only ab workout you’re doing, then you’re doing it wrong. To lose those spare tires, you need to incorporate a variety of ab moves to shed belly fat. We’ve rounded up some of the most effective ab workouts you can do. Combined with cardio to take the fat off, these moves will tone and strengthen your core.
Amazing Ab Moves to Shed Belly Fat
- Bicycle – This oldie-but-goodie is highly effective for killer abs as it stabilizes your core and challenges the center and oblique abs. To do bicycle crunches, lie on your back and place your hands behind your head. Lift your legs, holding them parallel to the ground. Lift your head and shoulders, straighten your left leg, and bring your right leg and left elbow together. Come back to center and switch for one full rep.
- Plank (and Side Plank) - There’s a good reason the plank has become so popular lately: It’s highly effective at targeting belly fat and back fat. To plank, get into a push up position and hold it, keeping your body in a straight line fro the crown of your head all the way to your heels. Hold the position for one minute (if you can) or more. If you cannot hold a plank for a minute, make a note of how long you were able to hold it and then try to hold it for 10 seconds more next time.
- Russian Twist - A side-to-side crunch with a medicine ball, the Russian Twist adds weight to a basic ab move for a total toning workout for your abs and obliques. To perform this move, sit on your butt and assume a V position, with legs at a 45-degree angle. Hold a medicine ball between your hands. Turn your torso to one side, and then come back through the center to the other side to complete one rep.
- Windshield wiper – The lower abs are one of the hardest places to lose weight, mainly because most people aren’t doing the type of ab moves to shed belly fat in the lower abdominals. To target the lower abs, lie with your back on the floor and your legs in the air, bent at the knee. Pushing your shoulders into the mat, turn your knees to one side and twist your abs to the side as far as they can go. Come back to the center, and then push your knees and abs fully to the other side.
- Boat pose - This yoga move gives you major core stability. Sitting on your butt, assume a V position with your body and hold it for as long as you can.
When it comes to any exercise, including abdominal workouts, proper technique is key to ensuring that you’re getting the full benefit of the exercise. If you’re not sure whether you’re doing it right, ask your local gym trainer to demonstrate any of these ab moves to shed belly fat.