Whether you exercise at Sterling gym or you work out in the comfort of your living room, having a good nutrition plan will help keep you in shape. In this article, we’re going to share a few nutrition tips that will help you maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Keep Your Body Well Hydrated
It is important that you keep your body well hydrated when exercising at a Sterling gym – or anywhere for that matter. Often times, some people become so gung-ho with exercising that they forget to keep their body filled with liquids. Dehydration can cause serious illness, so it’s important that you drink plenty of water throughout the day. The general rule of thumb is to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water each day.
If you don’t like drinking water, add some flavor to your water bottle. For example, you can add fresh squeezed lemon or lime. There are even recipes on the Internet that you can use to help your water taste better. You can add watermelon, strawberries, grapes and other fruits and let them sit within your water for 30 or more minutes. The natural sweetness from the fruit will liven up your water. You can also drink flavored seltzer water (i.e. vanilla, orange, raspberry, etc.).
You can also ‘eat’ your water. For example, there are many vegetables and fruits that contain large amounts of water. Celery, lettuce, cucumber and watermelon are examples of foods that contain a good amount of water.
Don’t Exercise with Hunger Pains
Now, that doesn’t mean that you have to eat a full meal before you exercise. Health experts recommend not exercising on an empty stomach. Make sure you eat something at least 30 to 60 minutes before you hit a Sterling gym. Avoid eating anything heavy, otherwise, you can run the risk of vomiting while exercising (embarrassing). Also, eating too much food will slow you down and make you feel sluggish while exercising.
We recommend eating the following ‘pre-workout’ meals:
• Eat a banana
• Eat low-fat yogurt
• A small bowl of oatmeal with fruit on top (minus butter)
Obviously, you’re not going to eat everything on the above list—just choose one. After your workout, if you’re still hungry, you can eat a regular meal. Just make sure you wait at least 30 minutes after working out. Don’t forget to drink water to hydrate your body immediately after a workout.
Sterling Fitness: Benefits of Exercising
The number one benefit of exercising at a Sterling fitness club is to lose weight and to get into shape, obviously. However, medical experts have discovered a variety of other benefits from exercising. Here are a few benefits:
• Exercising regularly can help prevent a variety of diseases, such as: heart disease, diabetes, and even certain cancers. Just keep in mind, even though you exercise regularly, it’s important to maintain a healthy balanced diet.
• Helps in reducing depression. For many people, this is hard to believe, but it’s true. Exercising on a regular basis can actually help lift depression. According to health experts, when you burn 350 or more calories (at least three times a week) from exercising, you can help reduce depression symptoms.
• Improves your learning ability. What does running on a treadmill have to do with learning? When we exercise, it actually enhances the level of your brain chemicals (growth factors). Whether you like to do aerobics, Zumba, play volleyball or jog on a regular basis, exercising can help improve your learning ability.
• Keeps your brain healthy. Even if you walk 10-15 minutes a day while at work or around your block, this can help improve your brain health. According to health experts, when your body is active, it can help ward off memory loss. There have even been recent medical studies that have proved that keeping your body active can help improve your memory.
Getting Started With Exercising
Medical experts suggest exercising at least 30 minutes per day. If you’re new to the world of exercising, it’s best to start off small and work your way up. For example, you can start off by walking at least 15 minutes per day. Then consider joining a Sterling fitness club. Some beginners hire fitness trainers to help them get on track in the right direction. Regardless of how you get started, exercising offers an assortment of benefits for men and women.
In addition to exercising, it is important that you maintain healthy eating habits. Make sure you cut out high-calorie foods, high-fat foods, soda and sugar. The point here is, exercising and maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help you become a healthier person.
Don’t Give Up
When you start a new exercise program, find ways to keep you motivated. For example, if you exercise regularly for three weeks straight, treat yourself to a good movie or even your favorite healthy food. Whatever you do, never give up.
Fitness Tip: If you suffer from any kind of medical condition or you have been inactive for a long period of time, make sure you consult with your physician before you begin any kind of exercise program.