Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is a serious medical condition that affects a large percentage of people worldwide. In the United States alone, 1 out of every 3 persons is estimated to have high blood pressure!
This disease usually requires medical intervention and medication to manage. But while you always need to follow the advice of your physician, you can help fight hypertension with these five foods.
- Avocados: Avocados are high in potassium and healthy fats, which help to increase good cholesterol and lower blood pressure. Just be careful to not eat too many, because they’re high in calories.
- Bananas: Just like avocados, bananas are high in potassium, which helps to reduce the sodium concentration in our blood. This interaction with sodium levels aids in lowering blood pressure.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes fight hypertension because they’re high in potassium and lycopene. Lycopene also helps restrict the buildup of bad cholesterol.
- Dark chocolate: While you should monitor how much you eat to control calories and sugar, dark chocolate contains flavanols, which have been shown to help fight hypertension.
- Celery: High in potassium as well, celery has a diuretic effect, which assists in lowering blood pressure.