Chronic inflammation causes a regular state of bloating and fatigue. It can lead to lackluster workouts, painful joints, skin imperfections and mood changes. And if left untreated, it can become a serious medical problem; chronic inflammation reportedly can lead to a number of other chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer’s.
So how do you know whether you have chronic inflammation? It starts with asking your doctor for a specific blood test that checks for certain markers. And if you do have chronic inflammation, your diet is crucial.
Watch out for these foods:
- High glycemic or simple carbohydrates
- Dairy, especially high-fat yogurts and milk
- Sugar and trans-fats
- Fish high in mercury
- Certain flours, such as wheat
Opt for foods like these instead:
- Brussel sprouts
- Low-mercury, high omega-3 fish
- Whole grains, no added sugar