I can’t show you a way to completely avoid soreness if you work out hard or on a consistent basis. It’s going to happen! But I can help you speed up recovery times and get back into the gym for your next session. Here are some easy tips you can start using now.
Ways to Speed Recovery
- Sleep more. Shoot for seven to nine hours a night of consistent sleep. Your body needs it to help with the recovery process and synthesis of proteins.
- Eat protein before bed. This assists the protein synthesis occurring while you sleep.
- Eat protein when you wake up. Why wouldn’t you fuel your body with the same nutrients that you gave it to help with recovery the night before? It makes sense to repeat the process and start our day off with recovery!
- Drink water. Hydration helps remove lactic acid buildup and assists with recovery.
- Chug some chocolate milk. This is a runner’s go-to post-race. It contains all the necessary macros needed to help speed up recovery.
- Use the foam roller and massage. As Nike says, “just do it.” It often helps with lengthening, recovery and myofascial release.
- Take ice baths. It works! Lots of pro athletes will bear the pain of an ice bath, because they know their body needs the cold temperatures to aid the recovery process.