Ann Marie has taught yoga since 2002, and is a certified RYT 200 instructor with Yoga Alliance. She has studied with, and is inspired by Beryl Bender Birch and David Swenson, and completed her 200 hour teacher training with Rolf Gates in 2012. Ann Marie has completed 100 hour yin yoga teacher training with Tina Lanzoni, as well as standup paddle board (SUP) yoga teacher training. Ann Marie’s class follows the format of a vinyasa class, with a vigorous warmup, followed by standing asanas, balances, twists, seated poses and cool down. Ann Marie welcomes all levels of fitness; bring a willingness to sweat, to work hard, and maybe leave with a new sense of calm, and some new friends.
CPR/AED certified? Yes
- SUP Yoga Teacher Certification, Bala Vinyasa Yoga Studio, Naples, FL, May 2014
- American Heart Association CPR-AED certification for Healthcare Providers, current (updated in 2015)
- Tina Lanzoni, Yin Yoga 100-Hour Teacher Training Certification, 2012
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT), 200-hour Certification, attained in 2012; currently up to date
- Rolf Gates, 200-hour Teacher Training, 2011-2012
- Arthritis Association: Chair Exercise training (2007)
- Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) Group Exercise Instructor (since 2006)
- Les Mills Body Pump Teacher Training (2005)
- Doug Swenson, yoga weekend workshop (2005)
- David Swenson, Ashtanga Teacher Training, 40 hours (2004)
- Beryl Bender Birch, Power Yoga Teacher Training, 40 hours (2002)
Classes you currently teach: Yoga
What led you to group fitness? It was a happy accident that I became a fitness instructor; I enjoyed working out on machines, primarily … then discovered kick boxing class (it was the late 90s) … and then tried Ashtanga Yoga. I was a corporate trainer, and enjoyed connecting with people in the classroom so the next thing I knew, I attended a weekend teacher training course, and then started teaching… many more training programs, and a lot more classes, followed.
How do you spend your time outside of the gym? I’m a management consultant, and my focus is cyber business development. I enjoy travel, outdoor activities including beach yoga and paddlieboarding when I spend time in my home-away-from home, Bonita Springs, Florida. I spend as much time as possible with family and friends… that’s what matters most to me.
Some advice for our GGX class members: Advice is to do what you love, make everyday fitness a commitment in your life (to include 10K steps every day), and strive for 8 hours sleep every day.
Favorite Movie: Love Actually
Favorite Food: Grilled Scallops
Favorite Quote: The best is yet to come.