If someone ever tells you to “go take a hike,” make sure you turn around and thank them for the awesome suggestion. It’s a fantastic option when it comes to improving your fitness.
Here are 5 Benefits of Hiking:
- Burn serious calories: Hiking mixes up the terrain and can offer some serious incline which helps you burn far more calories than walking on a treadmill. Depending on the intensity you hike at, you can burn upwards of 500-800 calories an hour if you set out with a purpose. If you want a serious challenge try mixing up your speeds and choose some incline to ascend!
- Breaks boredom: Hiking helps break up the monotony of gym routines and keeps fitness interesting. Bring some friends with you; they can help you lose track of time so you don’t realize that you’ve been moving for an hour or more!
- Elevates mood: Hiking can kick depression’s butt and alleviate symptoms like anxiety, burnout, stress and insomnia. Getting in some Vitamin D, sunshine and fresh air with some friends while you spend time doing something healthy is a perfect prescription for happiness.
- Works muscles: I love workouts that challenge your heart and muscles at the same time. Hiking can build serious strength in your legs and core while increasing your overall agility and balance.
- Increases creativity: Hiking is good for you even beyond fitness. It can make you better at your job, too! It has been shown to increase focus, creativity and production levels by at least 50%.