Cherry Almond Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup of almond flour or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of canola or light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of pitted and quartered fresh cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and then stir in sour cream, sugar, oil and almond extract.
- Gently mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Fold in cherries.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Not only are cherries delicious, but they are rich in antioxidant and nutrients that can help fight inflammation. Known for helping ease arthritis and gout symptoms, cherries can also help to fight cancer and improve sleep patterns. Additionally, the fiber content, at 3 grams per muffin, will help you feel full longer. With only 183 calories per muffin, these are a great treat with healthy benefits.
Share a Healthy Recipe with Us!
If you have a healthy recipe that you’d like to share with us and have included in a future Silver Sneakers newsletter, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Gold’s Gym would love to share it and give you a shout-out in an upcoming newsletter to encourage other participants to continue eating healthy and monitoring their diet. To get started, we’ve shared a recipe this month from the Arthritis Foundation!GO BACK