Countdown to The 2015 Fall Challenge!
The Challenge is a body transformation contest that will help you get fit, improve your overall health and build a legacy of strength in 12 short weeks.
WHAT IS THE
GOLD'S GYM CHALLENGE?
The Gold's Gym Challenge is a 12-week body transformation contest exclusively available to Gold's Gym members. Not only will the Challenge help you get fit, exceed your goals and improve your overall health, you will also have a chance to win $100,000 in cash prizes!
In January, Challengers participate in comprehensive "Before" measurements and photographs. Then, 12 weeks later, final measurements and "After" photographs will be taken to document results. Each Gold's Gym will choose their local winners who will then be eligible for the National prize pool!
1 male / 1 female winner in each age group: 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and 60 and up
The top male and female in each age category at National judging will take home $6,500 cash and a Microsoft Band! The runner up in each age category will win $2,500! And the third place transformation will win $1,000. Additionally, the top 3 finishers in each age category will win prize packs from Met-RX and Power Crunch!
In 2014, the average Challenge participant lost 12 pounds and 10.3 inches off their body.
Welcome to the 2015 Gold's Gym Challenge!
5 STEPS TO A NEW YOU!
Follow these steps to sign up and maximize your results.
Thousands just like you have taken on the Gold’s Gym Challenge and forever changed their bodies and lives.
Here are a few stories from members who have taken on the Challenge:
FEMALE OVERALL WINNER
Lost 41 lbs, 22.75 inches and 9.9% body fat
"It is hard to realize that I am the girl I see in the mirror! I have dozens of before pictures that symbolize every failed fad diet and every attempt at going to the gym. Thank you Gold’s Gym for now I have the after picture I have waited for over 20 long years."
1st: Darna Magpayo, Los Angeles, CA
2nd: Leonna Ferrara, Norton, MA
3rd: Caramia Nelson, Houston, TX
4th: Thelma Endicott, Bountiful, UT
5th: Tanya Andrade, Silicon Valley, CA
6th: Joah Iannotta, Van Ness, VA
7th: Joy Gill, Bridgewater, NJ
8th: Cathi Dalby, Logan, UT
9th: Mary Alice Perez, Colorado Springs, CO
10th: Kristin Bahney, Layton, UT
11th: Ana Capistan, Brownsville, TX
12th: Marci Straub, Linglestown, PA
13th: Sally Ann Fanzo, Crofton, MD
14th: Kirsten Ingram, Gwinnett, GA
15th: Shannon McCarthy, Austin, TX
MALE OVERALL WINNER
Lost 46 lbs, 14.75 inches and 13.2% body fat
"I wanted my own body back. After the 12-week Gold’s Gym Challenge I feel fantastic, my weight is back to where it was freshman year. I’m the strongest I’ve ever been and I learned what I’m capable of when given an opportunity to prove it!"
1st: Samuel Young, Van Ness, VA
2nd: Jacob Weikel, Pharr, TX
3rd: Jacob Fellure, Loveland, CO
4th: Devin Wood, Ammon, ID
5th: Matt Frei, Eau Claire, WI
6th: Michael Gialousis, Tampa, FL
7th: Jeff Houska, Fenton, MO
8th: Matt Guyton, Stuart, FL
9th: Brandon Benedelli, Pocatello, ID
10th: Tyler Randall, Broken Arrow, OK
11th: Chad Taylor, Lake Norman, NC
12th: Skyler Scott, St. George, UT
13th: Denny Jorgensen, Regina, Canada
14th: Mauricio Lizarzaburn, Rockville, MD
15th: Tom Blauvelt, Richmond, VA
FIRST PLACE: Male 18-29
Lost 50 lbs and 19 inches
"To me, success is maintaining everything I have accomplished and investing in a holistic view of my life, a strategy that I hope will pay dividends for years to come."
1st: Alex Miller, Silicon Valley, CA
2nd: Alex Duran, Merrifield, VA
3rd: Michael Villarreal, San Antonio, TX
4th: Matthew Klinker, Milwaukee, WI
5th: Bradley Berberich, Kirkland, WA
6th: Stephen Schweppe, St. Peters, MO
7th: Dominique Brooks, Quail Springs, OK
8th: Rian Carmona, Los Angeles, CA
9th: Sean Schoonover, Pocatello, ID
10th: Blake Birmingham, Broken Arrow, OK
11th: Shawn Knobelock, Dorsett, MO
12th: Christopher Miller, Corpus Christi, TX
13th: Tom Coddington, Hanover, PA
14th: Kyle Doughty, Hudson Valley, NY
15th: Joel Hoyer, Wenatchee, WA
FIRST PLACE: Female 18-29
Lost 19 lbs, 8.5 inches and 9.4% body fat
"The Gold’s Gym Challenge literally transformed me physically, emotionally, personally and professionally to push myself harder than I ever thought possible."
1st: Frances Young, Killeen, TX
2nd: Jessica Flores, Los Angeles, CA
3rd: Niki Sawatzky, Broken Arrow, OK
4th: Gabriela Benavidez-Peralta, Laredo, TX
5th: Anna Houck, Odenton, MD
6th: Dani Simpson, Grand Junction, CO
7th: Marissa Dehler, Milwaukee, WI
8th: Gabby Geron, Bridgewater, NJ
9th: Christie Andersen, Hudson Valley, NY
10th: Sharen Caldera, Pocatello, ID
11th: Lindsey Lawless, Lake Norman, NC
12th: Amanda Adams, Alamo Heights, TX
13th: Shannon Joyner, Edmond, OK
14th: Kaylie Reynolds, Wenatchee, WA
15th: Courtney Woodard, Murfreesboro, TN
FIRST PLACE: Female 30-39
Lost 34 lbs, 20 inches and 13.1% body fat
"After doing every fad diet known to man, I decided it was time to do it the old fashion way, with diet and exercise."
1st: Julie Waymire, Broken Arrow, OK
2nd: Kirsten Rutherford, Venice, CA
3rd: April Smits, Seattle, WA
4th: Elizabeth Gardner, University Mall, UT
5th: Melanie Ramey, Loveland, CO
6th: Anna Ward, Hudson Valley, NY
7th: Erin Walker, College Station, TX
8th: Guia Lehr, Houston, TX
9th: Silvia Mendez, Los Angeles, CA
10th: Rachel Schneider, Chantilly, VA
11th: Sarah Gordon, Charles Town, WV
12th: Amanda Baskeyfield, Woodland Hills, OK
13th: Britany Miller, Clifton, CO
14th: Becky Boniface, Crofton, MD
15th: Jennifer Huntsman, Pocatello, ID
FIRST PLACE: Male 40-49
Lost 52 lbs, 21.25 inches and 15% body fat
"The Gold’s Gym Challenge helped me get off the yoyo wagon & maintain a healthy lifestyle from here on out!"
1st: Tony Shingleton, Clifton, CO
2nd: Gregg Gorski, Los Angeles, CA
3rd: Wolfgang Dykow, Silicon Valley, CA
4th: Caleb Garcia, Pharr, TX
5th: Lance Bailey, Broken Arrow, OK
6th: Matthew Wertz, Lorton, VA
7th: Nathan Jensen, Spanish Fork, UT
8th: Tom Verch, Lethbridge, Canada
9th: Doug Toleman, Brownsville, TX
10th: William Purington, Fenton, MO
11th: Bobby DeMilt, Olney, MD
12th: Toby Stronberg, Marley Station, MD
13th: Joseph Sanservero, Hudson Valley, NY
14th: Bob Castle, Chantilly, VA
15th: James Ford, Loveland, CO
FIRST PLACE: Male 50-59
Lost 42 lbs, 15.5 inches and 4% body fat
"I can actually say that I am probably in the best shape of my life and I plan on keeping it this way."
1st: Mike DePrado, Bridgewater, NJ
2nd: Dial Jones, Venice, CA
3rd: Mark Stachowiak, San Antonio, TX
4th: Ron Bond, Grand Junction, CO
5th: John Oneill, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
6th: Michael Rydlewski, Hudson Valley, NY
7th: Jeff Webb, Loveland, CO
8th: John McCoy, Manassas, VA
9th: Dan Wilson, Grand Junction, CO
10th: Eric Bowman, Los Angeles, CA
11th: Scott Griffith, Chales Town, WV
12th: David Bennet, Alexandria, VA
13th: Steve Ryder, Gaithersburg, MD
14th: Keith Wiils, Shrewsbury, PA
FIRST PLACE: Female 50-59
Lost 23 lbs, 17.3 inches and 9.1% body fat
"In the last 10 years, even though I worked out, my weight, strength and diet had deteriorated and I had put on too much extra weight. This year the Gold’s Gym Challenge gave me something new,
something fun, something challenging that I never had done before – a new goal!"
1st: Darlene Shuman, Tampa, FL
2nd: Tammy Harn, Wenatchee, WA
3rd: Barbara Budagher, Montrose, CO
4th: Greta Landis, Hanover, PA
5th: Jennifer Bankhead, Hudson Valley, NY
6th: Debra Houston, Milwaukee, WI
7th: Debbie Inman, Clifton, CO
8th: Sandy Santangelo, Bridgewater, NJ
9th: Donna Sanford, Grand Junction, CO
10th: Judy Wash, Richmond, VA
11th: Cyndy Jermain, Eldersburg, MD
12th: Michelle Bullock, Venice, CA
13th: Anastasia Kotsiras, Olney, MD
14th: Shelly Rodrigues, Gilroy, CA
15th: Katie Klang, Silicon Valley, CA
FIRST PLACE: Male 60+
Lost 15 lbs, 12 inches and 14.8% body fat
"By achieving my new level of fitness, I am proud that I can serve as a role model and ‘walk the talk."
1st: Victor Ornelas, Dallas, TX
2nd: Dean Miller, Roy, UT
3rd: Ted Fish, Spanish Fork, UT
4th: James Haislip, Winter Haven, FL
5th: Paul Sturman, Norton, MA
6th: Alan Anderson, Alexandria, VA
7th: Joe Monahan, Colorado Springs, CO
8th: Nate Lyons, Redmond, WA
9th: Bernard Lessard, Fairfax Station, VA
10th: Tim White, Los Angeles, CA
11th: Kurt Paulson, Venice, CA
12th: Robert Dilfer, Silicon Valley, CA
13th: John Matthew, St. James, NY
14th: Roy Johns, Gaithersburg, MD
15th: Fred Thurston, Hudson Valley, NY
FIRST PLACE: Female 60+
Lost 15 lbs, 12 inches and 14.8% body fat
"I started the Gold’s Gym Challenge feeling fat and frumpy. Now I feel fit and fabulous!"
1st: Judy Grover, Wenatchee, WA
2nd: Donna Mason, Woodland Hills, OK
3rd: Sharon Tipple, Los Angeles, CA
4th: Karen Davenport Bryan, TX
5th: Diane McMahan Gaithersburg, MD
6th: Kathleen Perrelle Hudson Valley, NY
7th: Kathy Blair Austin, TX
8th: Carol Montague Redmond, WA
9th: Lisa Rivers Cedar Park, TX
10th: Jennifer Bennett San Antonio, TX
11th: Linda Swanger Linglestown, PA
12th: Marie Garner Pelham, AL
13th: Lillian Nolan Walzem, TX
14th: Cheryl Kraft Broken Arrow, OK
15th: Sharon McMurtrie Frederick, MD
FIRST PLACE: Male Overall
Lost 62 lbs
"One evening we were eating dinner together as a family and my son was talking about what he wants to be when he grows up. All of a sudden, he stood up proudly and said "when I grow up, I'm going to be big and fat like you, dad!" and he proceeded to stick his stomach out. I was speechless. Was this the example I was setting for my children? My family is a blessing, a miracle and worth every sacrifice it takes to give them a long and healthy life. The first being, the sacrifice of my time to be the dad and role model they deserve. That's where The Challenge came in to play. I needed something to help me keep focused and give me a tangible deadline, 90 days to get back on track, for myself and for my family."
“After a grueling 12 weeks of intense training, overcoming mental roadblocks, personal limitations and physical injuries along the way, I have finally gotten on track. I’ve lost over 60Ibs, more than 8 inches off my waist and I have never felt or looked this great in my life! Now, when my sons imitate me they don’t rub their bellies, they do a push-up, stand and curl their arms to show me their big muscles! They are excited to go to the gym everyday and my oldest son even has his own workout he does with the local Gold’s Gym Kids Fit program! After every class, he’s so proud of himself and can’t wait to share what they did that day – burpees, squats, push-ups, sit-ups. There’s always something new and it makes me proud to see his love for health and fitness. Thank you Gold’s Gym for challenging me to become the person I am today and helping me find the path to develop my sons to the men they will be tomorrow!”
OVERALL FEMALE WINNER
Lost 41 lbs
"I was a really happy person until this year. It was the darkest time in my life. My mother, who was my best friend, passed away. It tore me apart. A few weeks later, my husband's job transferred us to another state, away from all our family and friends, just when I needed support the most. Within a few weeks of re-locating, I received a devastating medical diagnosis that will impact the rest of our lives. I felt so sad and all alone, I quit my new job and hit "rock bottom". I began eating to numb my pain and became an unrecognizable version of myself"
“My neighbor encouraged me to join Gold’s Gym, ‘The Challenge”, and went with me to the gym EVERY day. Also, Lindsey, the Trainer, helped me with my diet, and her coworkers Jeremy and Amber were always so positive to me! The Gold’s Gym Challenge completely transformed my life. I lost 41lbs and 22″ off my body. I’m a better version of myself not only physically but mentally.”
"My starting weight was 250.4lbs – the most I have ever weighed. I quickly decided that I was not at all happy with my weight and that I had to do something to change. My baby daughter provided me the focus and determination to do this and the Challenge provided me the opportunity to go after it with a very strict time line."
“I learned a lot through this journey about what it takes and means to achieve one’s goals. The first is having a purpose that will keep you focused. For me, it was having a daughter on the way. The second is that having a coach or mentor to honestly assess and guide you is invaluable. I needed that objective person to tell me I was on target and to help hold me accountable. The third and final thing was a gift that I received once I completed this journey and began to share my transformation with family and friends: you become an inspiration to those around you to go after their own goals.”
"In the fall of 2011 I tipped the scales at 208 pounds, the heaviest weight I had ever been in my life. Within a few months of that day, I was diagnosed with Hoshimoto's Disease and learned that both my mother and my grandfather were recently diagnosed with diabetes. Beyond them, several member of my family have either suffered or died from heart problems, and I was on track to follow in their footsteps. Most of their issues were either worsened or caused by weight. I had always known that healthy living can improve quality of life, and made the decision that I was going to pursue that life. If not for me, then to ensure my kids wouldn't be impacted by this family legacy."
“I signed up for the Challenge with a little encouragement from my trainer. By the time the Challenge started, I had already lost 45 pounds. My trainer and I discussed our “plan of attack” and set a goal for the 12 weeks. We pushed my physical limits in weight, endurance, resistance, flexibility, agility and balance. Every week there was something new that we overcame. Looking back, it’s incredible to think about all the things I’ve accomplished in three short months! I’m now a strong, healthy woman setting a great example for my family and friends. In the Challenge alone, I dropped 33 pounds, going from a size 18 to an 8! Thank you Gold’s Gym for challenging me to rise to my best!”
"One morning as I was looking in the mirror, I came to a realization that my reflection was that of a man I did not know. The lean, trim body of yesteryears somehow had become a distant memory, and before me stood a man with a keg instead of a six pack. Reality hit me! I had to do something to improve my body and my health!"
“With the support system from the trainers and their boot camps, I molded a 63 year old body to a new level of strength and endurance. Today, I not only look good but feel better. After 12 weeks I can say 60 is the new 40 at Gold’s Gym!”
"I have oh so many personal conflicts to deal with. My biggest obstacle however, was that I am the caregiver to a disabled mother and two handicapped siblings. In order for me to continue to take care of everyone else, I knew I had to start finally taking care of myself. I knew that in order for me to transform my body, I had to not only diet, but make time out of my day for the gym. This seemed like an unthinkable task."
“I had my ‘after’ picture yesterday and my journey ended in tears again. This time it wasn’t tears of sadness. These were tears of joy. I had refused to weight myself throughout this competition so when Brianna told me I had lost 21 pounds, I screamed so loud I think Newburgh heard me. I did not enter this Challenge to win it. I entered it for motivation that I needed. If I can do this, anyone can. I got my life and my body back and I know this is not the end. It’s only the beginning. I owe everyone around me a special ‘thank you’ for pushing me out of my dark place and into the sunshine with this new hot body. One last thing… FORGET YOU FIFTY!!!! “
"I have always struggled with my weight; from when I was the band kid getting beat up in middle school and even after I graduated from US Marine Boot Camp, I struggled. Food has always been a focal point in my life, from family gatherings to experimenting and trying new things. In my family, diabetes and heart disease are common so I am at risk just by genetics. I have 3 beautiful loving children that mean the world to me so I did not want to put them through that anytime soon. The motivation that kept me going to hit my goal was thinking of my children and my wife. They look up to me and they depend on daddy to be around for a long time."
“My trainer, Mark who I now call Yoda of the Gym, was key in helping find the right cardio, resistance and nutrition plan for me. To all my challengers of 2012, good luck with your future and whatever life throws at you. If you can finish the Challenge, you can finish anything. That is what I have learned. I will push myself to the limits and I will be successful. I feel great.”
Thousands − just like you − have taken on the Gold’s Gym Challenge and forever changed their bodies and their lives. Take advantage of the resources below to help you reach the finish line.
- How to Win the Challenge By Chelsea Meza
- 5 Ways to Fit in Fitness
- BodyBuilding.com: 10 Mental Boosters
- Get Motivated: Robert Reames
- The Gold’s Gym Challenge Checklist
- Bodybuilding.com: 4 Steps to Mental Strength
- The Ultimate 30 Minute Workout:
- BodyBuilding.com: 10 Rules of Clean Eating: Live by Them and Live Long and Lean
- BodyBuilding.com: Fat-Melting Cardio
- Get Motivated: Michael & Schenna Blaue:
- Interval Training 101:
- 7 Tricks to Transform Your Metabolism:
- Get Motivated with Steve Bingham:
- BodyBuilding.com: Cluck, Cluck, BOOM!
- 7 Reasons Your Weight Won’t Budge
- Master Motivation
- BodyBuilding.com: The Lunchtime Workout
- The 5 Essential Moves for Every Body
- Get Motivated: Paula Castano
- BodyBuilding.com: The Ten Commandments of Getting Lean
- Get Motivated: Alina McCabe
- BodyBuilding.com: 8 Plateau Busters
- The Most Important Workout You’ll Ever Do
- Women’s Health: The Ultimate Workout Playlist
- Men’s Health: The Perfect Running Playlist
- BodyBuilding.com: 4 Steps to Better Nutrition
- BodyBuilding.com: Meatballs Done Right
- Burn 350 Calories in 10 Easy Steps:
- BodyBuilding.com: Exercise Elixirs
- Get Motivated: Jamie Eason
- BodyBuilding.com: Ask the Macro Manager
- 6 Simple Swaps for Effortless Weight Loss
- Get Motivated: Robert Reames
- Get Motivated: Kristin Bahney
- 4 Easy Healthy Winter Recipes
- Meet & Greet with Gold’s Gym Challenge Winners and Trainers!
- 5 White Lies That Stall Weight Loss
- Gold’s Gym Challenge Winners: A Follow-up Edition
- 6 Tips To Stay Motivated Throughout Your Transformation
- Radical Resistance Training
- Get Motivated by Steve Bingham
- 6 Stellar Protein Smoothie Recipes!
- Workouts Total Transformation in 30 Minutes
- Gold’s Gym Challenge Winner: Darna Magpayo
- From Here To Macros: 4 Steps To Better Nutrition
- 5 Surprising Reasons You're Not Losing Weight
- Get Motivated: A Winning Workout Playlist:
Immediately after The Challenge last year, I put on my dress to cover up my bikini, marveled at the strong thin girl reflected in the mirror, and went into a happy cry. For twelve weeks I had fought for this dream, and like a marathon runner, I had just crossed the finish line. My emotions went from feelings of elation and accomplishment to feeling the absence of competition and a deadline. I had transitioned from Challenge Mode to Maintenance Mode.
There are several things that I do to find success in Maintenance Mode. First, I continue to make goals. My new goals can range anywhere from squatting a higher weight, doing an unassisted pull-up, or reaching a new goal weight. Second, I only have clothes in my home that fit me. I have given away all my old clothes so I am forced to maintain the size that I am now. Third, I am really strict with my exercise and eating plan during the week so that if I want to, I can relax and enjoy an outing on the weekend. And finally, I carry around my “before” and “after” pictures. Not only do the pictures remind me of my effort and accomplishment, I also find they help to inspire other people and show them that transformation can be possible.
During times of temptation, I remember the reasons why I completed The Challenge. I remind myself of my new physical and mental strength and prescription free health. When I am overcome with food cravings, I drink lots of water, distract myself, or reach out to someone. If I start to slide into my old unhealthy habits, I am quick to recognize it, I forgive myself, and I get right back on Maintenance Mode.
I have made my health a priority. My training sessions and group classes are appointments I do not break. I listen to my body when it tells me if I am not eating well or exercising enough. Maintaining this level of health is my new goal. With the knowledge, skills, and dedication that I have learned in The Challenge, I will never go back.
Thank you, Gold’s Gym!!!
Tune in to these free Member Education Webinars hosted by Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute members:
Fitness Institute member Eric the Trainer shared tips on Proper Nutrition, receiving rave reviews!
In case you missed it, view the recording here!
To get the new year started right, Celebrity Trainer and Fitness Expert Robert Reames hosted an “Anti-Resolutions” webinar on December 18. Robert shared a 7 step checklist for the “Resolution Dependent” to deliver long term health & fitness in the new year.
Weren’t able to make it? No worries! Click here for the recording!
Jamie Eason coached up Challenge participants and Gold’s Gym members in this webinar. View the recording here!
WATER, WATER, WATER
Be sure to get your eight glasses a day in order to stay hydrated and feeling your best.
CHECK OUT NEW CLASSES
Your body adjusts to repeated workouts, so switch it up with a new gym class.
Having a set time to go to the gym helps make sure you have enough time in your day to work out.
Rewarding yourself after each milestone can get you pumped for your next goal.
KNOW WHEN TO EAT
Eat a meal after your workout. You burn calories at an increased rate after you exercise, plus it prevents fatigue later.
COVER THE CLOCK
Don’t focus on time. When you stop looking at the clock, your workout will go by faster.
WORK YOUR CORE
Yoga and Pilates are both great low-impact options to mix-up your workout routine.
CATCH SOME Z’S
Make sure to get plenty of sleep each night to give your body time to heal and re-energize.
SHAKE UP YOUR CARDIO
A cardio triathlon is a great way to make your workout more exciting. Try 5-20 minutes each on bike, treadmill and elliptical.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Pick up a fitness magazine every now and then for information about your health and a little motivation for your next workout.
1. Sponsor: The “2015 Gold’s Gym Challenge” is sponsored by Gold’s Holding Corp. (“Gold’s Gym” or “Sponsor”), 4001 Maple Ave, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75219. All federal, state, provincial and local laws apply. VOID IN QUEBEC, AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
IT IS RECOMMENDED, AS WITH ANY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM, THAT YOU CONSULT A PHYSICIAN BEFORE PARTICIPATING.
2. How to Enter: There are two parts to this contest, a local contest conducted at your local participating Gold’s Gym (“Local Contest”) and a national contest conducted by Sponsor from eligible Local Contest winners (“National Contest”). To enter a Local Contest, beginning January 5, 2015 or later depending on the date set by participating Gold’s Gym Franchisees (“Local Franchisees”), visit your local Gold’s Gym (“Local Gym”) to have your “Before” photos and measurements taken and complete the local entry form and entry requirements (“Local Contests”). Participating local Gold’s Gyms will post their individual 12 week Local Promotion Period. At the end of the Local Promotion Period, return to your Local Gym to have “After” photos and measurements taken. Local Franchisees have the option of creating their own requirements for participation. Check your local gym for more details and the terms and conditions of entry
Participation in the National Contest requires participation in a Local Contest. Limit one Local Contest entry per person. Subject to these official rules, all 1ST place Category (as defined below) winners in each Local Contest will automatically be eligible to participate in the National Contest. If you are selected as a Category winner, you must submit an essay that is no less than 100 words and no more than a page describing your transformation story which should include why/how you were motivated/inspired to take the Gold’s Gym Challenge (“Essay”). The Essay will be judged based upon the following criteria: Sincerity (33%); Ability to Inspire (34%); and Passion (33%). The Essay, the percentage of overall body weight loss, inches lost and “Before” and “After” pictures taken by the Local Gym for each individual Category winner in each Local Contest will be deemed an “Entry(ies)”. Local Franchisees are solely responsible for submitting Entries. Entries become the property of Sponsor, and will not be acknowledged and will not be returned.
3. Alternate Method of Entry: If you are a resident of or are participating in a Local Contest in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Dakota, or Tennessee, you may enter the Local Contest without any payment or purchase by complying with all other Local Contest entry requirements.
4. Promotion Period: The Local Contests each run for twelve (12) weeks between January 5, 2015 and April 27, 2015 as determined by the Local Franchisee (“Local Promotion Period”).
5. Eligibility: You must be a legal resident of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia), Canada (excluding the province of Quebec) and 18 years or older at time of entry to be eligible to enter. Employees of Gold’s Gym and Gold Gym Franchisees and any advertising agencies, or promotional suppliers or persons involved in any part of the administration and execution of the Local Contests or National Contest and immediate family members (spouses and parents, children and siblings regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) of any such employees are not eligible to enter. Previous National winners of the Gold’s Gym Challenge are not eligible to win for a minimum of 5 years.
6. Categories of Competition: : All entrants will compete in one of the following categories: Females: 18-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59 and 60+ and Males: 18-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59 and 60+. (the “Category(ies)”). Age of entrant for each category is determined by the entrant’s age on the date of the “Before” pictures and measurements.
7. Judging: The 10 individual 1st place Category winners in each Local Contest, as determined in the sole discretion of the local panel of judges, will be eligible for the National Contest upon completion of the Entry.
Individual Local Judging: There will be Two (2) Rounds of judging in the Local Contest:
Round One (Local Level): All local entrants will be judged by a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor or the Local Franchisee. In Round One of judging, the panel of local judges evaluates the “Before” and “After” photos of each entry based on visible transformation (muscle tone, visible weight loss and visual fitness). Those entries deemed to have a “visible transformation” are sent into Round Two of Local Judging.
Round Two (Local Level): In Round Two of local judging, those entrants who were judged to have a “visible transformation” are evaluated based on their “Before” and “After” measurements: total pounds lost, overall percentage of body weight lost, and inches lost (or added). The top local entrant in each age Category will be sent on to National Judging (Rounds Three, Four,Five and Six.)
Individual National Judging: There will be Four Rounds of Judging in the National Contest:
Round Three (National Level): All entrants will be judged by a panel of three judges selected by the Sponsor. In Round Three of judging, the panel of judges evaluates “Before” and “After” photos of entrants based on visible transformation (muscle tone, visible weight loss and visual fitness). Those entries deemed to have a “visible transformation” are sent into Round Four of Judging.
Round Four (National Level): Entrants in Round Four of judging are ranked based on their “Before” and “After” measurements: total pounds lost, overall percentage of body weight lost, and inches lost (or added). The Top Fifteen (15) entrants in each age Category will move on to Round Five.
Round Five (National Level): The Top Fifteen entrants will then be judged side by side based upon their individual overall percentage of body weight lost (12%); overall inches lost (12%); visual fitness as evidenced in their “Before” and “After” pictures (38%); and Essay (38%). The Essay will be judged based upon the following criteria: Sincerity (33%); Ability to Inspire (34%); and Passion (33%). The top scoring contestant in each of the ten (10) Categories will become First Prize Winners. The contestant with the second-highest score in each of the ten (10) Categories will become Second Prize Winners. The contestant with the third-highest score in each of the ten (10) Categories will become Third Prize Winners. In the event of a tie, the tying contestants will be re-judged based upon visual fitness, as evidenced in their “Before” and “After” pictures. In the event of a second tie, the tying contestants will be re-judged based upon their Essays.
Round Six (National Level): To determine the Overall Female winner, the Top Five First Prize winners in the Female age categories will be evaluated side by side and ranked based on their individual overall percentage of body weight lost (12%); overall inches lost (12%); visual fitness as evidenced in their “Before” and “After” pictures (38%); and Essay (38%). To determine the Overall Male winner, the Top Five First Prize winners in the Male age categories will be evaluated side by side and ranked based on their individual overall percentage of body weight lost (12%); overall inches lost (12%); visual fitness as evidenced in their “Before” and “After” pictures (38%); and Essay (38%).
8. Prizes:Prizes awarded to Local Contest winners in each Category will vary gym by gym. At the National level, the Overall Male and Female winners will receive a 4-day, 3-night stay at the Downtown Dallas Omni Hotel in conjunction with the 2015 Gold’s Gym Convention August 23-26, 2015. Prize applies to room nights (including applicable taxes) as well as airfare. ARV: $750 per prize The ten (10) First Prize Winners in each age category will each receive US$6,500. In addition, the ten (10) First Prize Winners will receive a Microsoft Band and a 3 month supply of Power Crunch products. ARV: US$199. (Microsoft Band is a trademark or registered trademark of the Microsoft group of companies and is used under license. Microsoft is neither a sponsor of this promotion nor has any responsibility regarding the conduct or administration of this promotion.) The ten Second Prize Winners will each receive US$2,500 and a 2 month supply of Power Crunch products. The ten Third Place Winners will each receive US$1,000 and a 1 month supply of Power Crunch products. The total prize pool value is US$110,000.Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Microsoft Band with a prize of equal or greater value in Sponsor’s sole discretion. All federal, state, provincial and local taxes and duties are the sole responsibility of the winners. Sponsor will file an IRS Form 1099 in the name of any U.S. winners for the value of the prize awarded. A total of 30 prize winners will be selected for the National Contest. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible Entries received that meet the judging criteria.
9. Winner Notification: All winners of the National Contest will be determined on or about May 25, 2015 and will be notified by phone, email or mail and will be required to complete and execute an affidavit of eligibility and release including Social Security/Social Insurance number (“Affidavit”) in order to receive his or her prize. If any National Contest winner fails to return the properly signed affidavit and releases or other prize documentation within 7 days, chooses to decline a prize for any reason, or fails to comply with any other requirements, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the runner-up. Noncompliance with these Official Rules, return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable, or inability of Sponsor to contact a winner will result in disqualification and the runner-up will be notified.
10. Essay License: By participating each contestant represents and warrants that his/her Essay is original, truthful and does not infringe any third party rights and grants Sponsor a perpetual, fully-paid, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to reproduce, prepare derivate works of, distribute, display, exhibit, transmit, broadcast, digitize, otherwise use, and permit others to use and exhibit throughout the world his/her Entry in any manner, form, or format now or hereinafter created, including on the internet, and for any purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising or promotion of Sponsor and Sponsor’s goods or all without further consent from or payment to you or any other third parties.
11. Conditions and Release of Liability. In case of dispute as to the winner(s) of a Local Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify all Entries submitted from the Local Gym or the disputed winner(s) of the Local Contest, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant or Entry for false or deceptive acts. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, lost or postage due mail, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the National Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this National Contest if it cannot be completed as planned due to computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical failures, typographical or production errors in these Official Rules or other advertising for the National Contest, or other conditions beyond Sponsor’s control. In such case, Sponsor may, at its discretion, select the winner(s) from all eligible entries received unaffected by the problem. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the operation of the National Contest or who does not comply with these Official Rules. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE NATIONAL CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM THE PERPETRATOR TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this National Contest or these Official Rules (“Claim”) will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, United States of America, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules and must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction within the United States or, for Canadian residents with any statutory claims, in a court of competent jurisdiction within Canada. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this National Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. ENTRANTS WILL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY OR AS MEMBERS OF ANY CLASS OF CLAIMANTS PERTAINING TO ANY CLAIM. OR IN A PURPORTED REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY ON BEHALF OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC OR OTHER PERSONS SIMILARLY SITUATED. ANY CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND/OR AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS NATIONAL CONTEST. ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO ATTORNEY’S/LEGAL FEES, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ENTRANT, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE WAIVERS MAY NOT APPY TO YOU.
12. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the composition of any Local Team, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify the entire Local Team or an individual member of that Local Team. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners, and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the National Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this National Contest should (in its sole discretion) fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the National Contest. In such case, Sponsor may, at its discretion, select the winner(s) from all eligible entries received unaffected by the problem. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the operation of the National Contest. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this National Contest or these Official Rules (“Claim”) will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, United States of America, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules and must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction within the United States or, for Canadian residents with any statutory claims, in a court of competent jurisdiction within Canada. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this National Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. ENTRANTS WILL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY OR AS MEMBERS OF ANY CLASS OF CLAIMANTS PERTAINING TO ANY CLAIM OR IN A PURPORTED REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY ON BEHALF OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC OR OTHER PERSONS SIMILARLY SITUATED. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE NATIONAL CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM THE PERPETRATOR TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
14. List of Winners: For the names of the winners, available after June 30, 2015, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to The 2015 Gold’s Gym Challenge, 4001 Maple Ave, Ste. 200, Dallas, TX 75219. Requests must be received by July 30, 2015.